Half a Century of Growth & Achievement
MAGSEAL was founded in 1954 by George E. Colby and Robert L. Stevenson who patented the first magnetically energized rotary seal, patent number 2843403 in 1958. Today, the company remains under the ownership of the Colby family and is routinely applying its technology and advancing the state of the art in advanced power systems applied in aerospace and in high precision applications.
July 29, 1954
Magnetic Seal Corp founded and located in Georgiaville, Rhode Island
Original Magnetic Seal Product Brochure
Moved to 166 Bay Spring Avenue, West Barrington, RI
Top photos from left to right: Ken Neri and Bruce Place; Founder’s George and Richard Colby
Bottom photos from left to right: Richard and Annabel Colby in the Front Office; Lapping & Packaging Room
To solve a leakage problem from a competitor’s seal, MAGSEAL conducts a fleet-wide retrofit (American, TWA, United, Pan Am and others) of Constant Speed Drives (CSD’s) manufactured by Sundstrand, now known as UTAS
Initiated European Representation
Farnborough Air Show
Moved to 365 Market Street, Warren, RI
Longtime Magseal Representative in France shown with the first CNC Machine placed in service at the Warren, RI Facility.
1980’s and 90’s
MAGSEAL PNR 84091
The largest seal ever made by Magnetic Seal Corp
It successfully sealed the counter-rotating coaxial propeller shafts on the UDF (un-ducted fan) power-plant developed by NASA.
MAGSEAL Celebrates it’s 50th Anniversary.